Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Etegami

Recently I've discovered an art form from Japan called "Etegami"  E stands for picture and tegami stands for words or message.  So, a small picture accompanied by words which are written on the painting itself.  In Japan many of these are done simply with black and white Sumi ink.  A distinguishing characteristic of these little treasures is the use of a red seal (chop) that gives the artist's name.  
Years ago when I was spending time in Japan every year I had a number of these chops made by a local seal maker in Kameoka.  I use them on watercolors to sign my pieces.  Now I'm enjoying embarking on an adventure doing etegami.  I've made a new friend in Japan, Debbie, who has been promoting etegami with a delightful website:  EtegamibyDosankoDebbie.  For  a while I plan to post my humble attempts at this form on this blog.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi patricia, just wanted to say high and that I bought the chinese version of improve wisdom. I've been translating it back into english as a way to help me learn chinese. It's slow going but am enjoying it. And as for the chair, it looks very comfortable.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete