Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 168: Memories

Last Tuesday night I began a ten week course with Stanford's Continuing Studies program on the topic of "Memory."  Each week a new guest lecturer will look at the fascinating subject from a different angle.  The opening lecture was by Professor Michael Shank, who is a classical archeologist and archeaographer.  HIs web site has some stunning photographs.

Memory has been on my mind lately since I am registered to attend my 50th year high school class reunion in Richmond, VA next weekend.  I graduated Thomas Jefferson High School in 1960.  The embarrassing thing is that I have almost no recall of events in high school.  I can't name five people that I knew during that time of my life.  So, in an effort to try and "jog my memory"  I went in search of my high school yearbook.  It was not to be found (although I did locate my college yearbook).  In the box of dusty memories I found a small box with a gift I had received in 1979.  This was a birthday party for me given by one of my Stanford undergraduates, Maureen Grady, now Maureen Grady Reed.  The party was a magical one.  The small student apartment was lit totally by candles.  The soulful music of Jane Oliver was playing "Some Enchanted Evening" and the center of the room was decorated with roses, rose petals and crystals everywhere.  I still have many of those crystals.  This photograph was taken at that party.  The wonderful evening comes flooding back filled with warm and joyous memory.  These memories are possible because Maureen had  created a memorable event for me.  I'd like for her to know that thirty one years later I can remember that night in detail.  Thank you, Maureen, for the wonder you bring to so many lives.  I am blessed by the friendships I've made along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Maureen makes magic wherever she goes. She sees the gifts in others and illuminates them. Everyone who knows her is very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete