Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Shredded wheat/Candied Ginger Scones

It's rare to have a rainy day in late June in our part of California.  Being inside during a rain brings on the baker in me.  I love the smell of cakes, cornbread, scones, brownies filling the house.  Today I promised Ron I'd make one of his favorites:  Shredded Wheat Scones.  We got this recipe from the SF Chronicle food pages about fifteen years ago.  I've made it dozens of times.  I've added a frosting to make it wicked.  I get a jar of Lavender sauce (lavender elixier in a sugar syrup) at the Farmer's market.  I use the liquid to moisten powdered sugar to make an icing.  Yum.  Here is the recipe.

Harvey’s Shredded wheat and Candied Ginger Scones

1 cup crushed shredded wheat cereal (two large or about two cups bite-sized)
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2/3 cup candied ginger cut into tiny pieces
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter at room temp
½ cup milk (or can use half and half or cream for even richer taste)
1 egg
(a few tablespoons of milk to glaze tops before baking)

Icing  (Mix sugar with liquid until consistency of icing to dribble)
1 cup powdered sugar
Lemon juice or Lavender syrup or just milk(about 1 Tablespoon)

Preheat oven to    375-400 degrees
Stir and toss together cereal flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder, salt.  Once well mixed add the butter and with your fingers or a pastry blender mix the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.  (Will not be fully consistent or smooth.  Bumpy is good)
Mix egg and milk together well.  Then add liquid to flour mixture.  Stir until combined.  It will be sticky and soft.  Now turn this gloppy mess out onto a counter or board that has lots of flour.  Knead gently about 10 times until you have a ball all holding together.  Flatten ball unto about a half  inch- 2/3 inch.  Cut the whole thing into triangles or square small biscuits.  Brush tops of scones with milk.  Place on baking sheet.  Bake for 16-20 minutes watching to make sure they don’t burn.  Golden brown but not too much.  Careful not to over bake.  They continue baking after you pull them out.
While partially cooled drizzle icing onto them.  Let cool, (if you can stand it) before eating.  Enjoy.




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to find this recipe! My husband heard it on an a.m. radio station 30 years ago, and wrote it out for me as quick as he could. I've improvised with it for years, but then we moved...and you know how up-ending that can be. Can't wait to make them for him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I have this recipe for my 88 year old mother. She was telling me she use to have then when she was younger.

    ReplyDelete