Monday, April 2, 2012

Nnemkadi Ogwumike: Stanford legend

Most of my life has been spent ignoring sports. Never athletic myself, I somehow missed the roar of the crowd as a fan during my five decades as a student and teacher. I needed to be retired and have my sports-manic husband finally drag me to a Stanford women's basketball game to begin to get the bug. And as my Facebook friends can attest my fan status today is SERIOUS.

Looking at my closet there is a preponderance of Cardinal red hanging and folded. I've given up fashion for patronage. I love the Stanford women's team, especially this 2011-2012 team led by the incomparable Nnemkadi Ogwumike. We will not see her on the court at Maples any more. She graduates and moves into the WNBA next year. She will be missed.

Much has been written about her. She embodies the finest in athletics and scholarship. Eternally positive, always gracious, the soul of gratitude, Nneka is the true leader and sister that makes sports worth watching. Although the team lost to Baylor last night, I won't remember the loss in that game. Instead I'll remember Nnemkadi, Chiney, Toni, Joselyn, and Amber and Lindy, Grace, Sarah, Taylor, Bonnie, Sarah James and Erica. These women have opened my eyes and my heart to the deep delights of sport. I wish Nneka and the other seniors great blessings as they advance in their lives. Now a rest from hoops. Until next season. . .



Nneka is hugged by assistant coach Kate Payne after the Baylor game. Photo borrowed from the San Jose Mercury sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment