Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 63 Herbed Corn Bread

I am hard pressed to think of anything that smells better than bread when it just comes out of the oven or out of the bread-maker.  
This is my current favorite: Herbed Corn Bread.  It's not a "cornbread" but rather a yeast rising bread that includes a half cup of coarse cornmeal.  
Here is the recipe: (designed for a bread making machine, but can be done in the normal way, too)
(wets into machine first)
1 cup milk (or evaporated milk, or half and half)
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup  coarse cornmeal or I use polenta
1/2 teasp marjoram
1/2 teasp powered ginger
1 1/2  teasp celery seed
1 1/2  teasp dried sage
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon dry yeast


Dump it all in your breadmaker.  I do a double mix by turning the machine onto the "cake" setting which just mixes everything.  After 12 min I stop this setting and the bread is mixed a first time.  Then I turn the machine to the Whole Wheat normal setting and let it cook as long as it takes.  My machine is 3 hrs 40min total.  This is a heavenly, light but dense in texture savory bread.  Wonderful toasted.  Enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment