Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 89: The Kathmandu Valley

































In 1982  I took a sabbatical from teaching at Stanford to circumnavigate the globe.  The trip took a year and a half and centered mainly on countries in Asia.  I spent nearly two months in Nepal, three months in Indonesia (studying dance and mask carving on Bali),  a few months on the beaches of Thailand and several months in Japan.  I kept journals of my wanderings and spiritual questioning.
Today I was working on a story about a meditation experience I had in  October, 1982 and I pulled out one of the journals.  To my surprise I found this watercolor of the Kathmandu Valley painted from a perch of the Kopan Monastery near Bodinath.  I can't remember how I happened to have paints with me, but sure enough this painting was there.  It pulls my memory to a very happy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment