Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 216: Time

"I wasted time, and now doth time waste me . . ."
from Shakespeare's Richard II

These two quotations about the value of using time well are important to me.  Perhaps we all need to be reminded that time is the one resource which is not renewable.  It moves forward.  We use it well or we lose it.

I want us all be become more conscious. If I had a magic pill to change one thing about our world it would be to evoke our capacity to notice what we are doing moment by moment.  It is the zoning out, the mindless use of time that offends me. We all do this: go unconscious from time to time.  (Some I have observed appear to be in this unconscious state perpetually, I'm sorry to say.)  How much better to learn the habit of being awake to our own lives.  If I am conscious of what I am doing at any moment I can choose my life. Even if what I choose is something recreational.  At least I am involved in the experience of this choice.  But we "hang out" in our reality, barely conscious.  The clock ticks.  Moves on.  Today's motto for everyday life is:  pay attention to time, and pay attention to how you are using it.  Do your life well.  Use Franklin's sage advice:  "Let us then be up and doing, and doing to a purpose; so by diligence shall we do more with less perplexity."

No comments:

Post a Comment