Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 254: Bodhi Day

I took this photo of Ron standing in front of a magnificent Buddha statue at the Amitabha Stupa in Sedona, AZ in early May.  This garden and stupa is a place of great tranquility there.  Today is Bodhi Day in the Buddhist calendar.  This is the day when the historical Buddha awakened to the real meaning of life.  This event is commonly called enlightenment.  While I can make no claim to enlightenment myself, it strikes me as something both simple and profound.

Seeing "things as they are" is suggested as one definition for this type of understanding.  I do know that life is precious.  We get one chance to live it in a way that helps others and is respectful of the earth.  On this Bodhi Day let us each celebrate the wonder of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment