Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 304: Granny Ryan's Coconut Pie


Granny’s Coconut Pie             
350 degree oven

 1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup whole milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cup coconut
Fresh nutmeg

Beat eggs and sugar.  Add milk
Then melted butter, vanilla, coconut
And nutmeg.  Mix well. Bake in
Unbaked pie shell. 
40-45 min or till brown.
(for 8inch  pie shell)
My paternal grandmother, Juliette Bethel Ryan, was a good cook.  I have lots of memories from my childhood of being in her kitchen and watching Granny with her cotton apron making something.  This recipe with only seven ingredients (plus a ready made pie shell) is one of the easiest deserts I know.  It smells wonderful in the oven.  And it last for up to a week if you keep it refrigerated.  It's best warm or at room temperature.  
After a day in the dentist chair getting a crown on a upper molar I am longing for something special from the oven.  Let me know if you give this recipe a try. 



No comments:

Post a Comment