Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 9: My paintbox

A decade ago a friend who is a talented watercolor artist, Susan Kahn, gave me a tip about a way to make a handy portable paintbox.  Use a plastic traveling soap box.  Inside you can stack two trays of small refillable pans or half pans.  These little plastic rectangles are available empty.  You can fill them from tubes of watercolor and arrange them to suit your use.  You can get up to 20 half pans on a single tray or 10 whole pans.  These trays pull out.  I glue the little pans onto a small square of plastic.  You can pull both the trays out and use the soap box as a mixing palate.

I like being about the carry all of my paint supplies in a 5" X 7" zipper bag.  I can paint anywhere.  I've always loved an open paintbox.  Seeing the colors lined up in a rainbow line seems to fill the world with possibilities.  All hail art supplies.

They are wonderful gifts for children.  Give a child a set of colors: paints, pencils, crayons, chalk.  Color opens the imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment